Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Best advice ever


I'm about to share with you the number one best homeschooling tip ever .  When my oldest was about 8 months old, we joined a local homeschool support group in the city where we lived, it was the AV Rose Rock Inclusive Homeschool Support Group, it was a chapter of the nationwide Rose Rock group of inclusive homeschool support groups, started by Bonnie Carter and Kim... shoot, what was Kim's last name... I don't remember. Either way, it was one of a chain of support groups that welcomed families of all faiths, homeschooling styles and whatever else. We had a family drop out once because she read our guidelines and realized that we'd welcome a same-sex couple and just thought that was far beyond her comfort level.. That's why we defined the term inclusive before we started, right. We wouldn't have WANTED the presence of someone who was judgmental, or otherwise believed that diversity could hurt their children. We specifically invited everyone and believe that everyone has value.

Anyway, it was in this group that I decided I wanted to get to know these homeschool moms better, so I asked a few if I could come over for a visit to see what they do at their house. The very first place I visited was a woman named Lisa who had 3 children. We were house-hunting at the time and she advised me to go for hard wood floors because you can always put rugs over top of it and clean them without having your floors ruined.  best.advice.ever.

No comments: