Friday, September 9, 2011

Taking Care of Pops


I just love the idea of allowing Pops to stay in his own home as he ages. I was excited to find a nj senior care company that specializes in in home care. I think the best sort of new jersey elder care allows patients to stay in their own homes because it's so much more dignified and I can't imagine being taken away from my home just because I'm aging. In a perfect world (my perfect world anyhow) families would live in communities, taking care of each other and I'm hoping the visiting nurse acts like family, so Pops feels more like he's visiting with someone rather than like someone is coming over to take care of him. I wish we had found something like this several years ago, it seems like the perfect solution. They check over the meds, they help with hygiene and all sorts of other things, to help make life easier for Pops.

So have you ever used an elder care service? What sort did you go with? I think our culture has strange practices for aging, like when Aunt Rita was 94 and she went into the hospital for something simple, they ended up wanting to give her surgery. I was so happy when she said "No thanks" and just went on about her life. She lived another 3 years after that and died at home in her sleep. She told her daughter that next time she's not feeling well, tell her to suck it up because "I'll be damned if I'm going to die in some hospital bed somewhere."

Gotta love her, I hope I'm just as fiery at that age!

No comments: