Thursday, August 4, 2011

Home Economics

I took home economics in High School and it wasn't an economics course at all. We learned how to cook and clean and sew. Not that I can even sew a simple set of kitchen curtains today, it's not because I didn't learn how, it's just because I wasn't interested at the time.  Either way, that's not economics. Economics is managing money. Maybe they were trying to teach us that it's cheaper to bake from scratch or to sew things instead of buy them.... but we didn't really ever learn how to juggle bills, how to make a family budget or how to save money eating out. That's the kind of economics I find useful as a mom and homemaker. We redecorated our kitchen once fore like $30, they didn't teach us THAT in high school, right? I mean, you can't buy one single kitchen decor item for that much, it's ridiculous.

I don't know about you, but one reason we homeschool is because I want to be sure that the kids have real-life skills that they can use and one way we do that is by including them in decisions. See, in life, you really CAN have everything you want, as long as you work out a method to get it, right? Actually I shouldn't say that because every plan I make seems to fail but I still end up getting what I want. Life is good. The world is a good place and people want to help your dreams come true. That's why we homeschool. You don't need to have an average set of knowledge in every topic in order to be successful. A better approach is to be an expert in your favorite things and homeschooling allows us to raise kids who have time to pursue their passions and become experts in their field, without the time-wasting, mind-numbing, soul-crushing focus on mediocrity. so what about you? Did you take Home Ec in school? Do you think they missed the mark, or did you learn valuable homemaking skills? How does your homeschool differ from the experience you had as a child?





No comments: