Sunday, August 21, 2011

Putting the HOME back in homeschool

Have you ever walked into a homeschooler's house and you get that sinking, crappy feeling that you're back in school again? Charts on the wall with gold stars ensure that kids are being taught to follow someone else's reward system rather than their own inner guidance... lesson plans that ensure that the specific target points of knowledge are being communicated and stressed, even if it's in spite of true understanding or enthusiasm. That used to impress me, but I don't think a homeschooling mom's job is to recreated the (failing) classrooms of the world. Life is joyful and learning is fun and there's no reason a home should be anything but a home.

It hit me when we were shopping to decorate my daughter's room. The rest of the world was shopping for school supplies, but that was the farthest thing from my mind, I just wanted to create a beautiful environment she'd be comfortable in. She's picky and I know it's important to HER that things be in order, so we set off with hot cocoa, our snuggies and started shopping online. She wanted everything she saw on this site, but we settled for a beautiful pegasus vanity and a trundle mattress that she can use when friends come over and some matching floral lamp shades to bring it all together.

No comments: